I've decided to put together a few of my study tips and tricks that I find work for me, as I've been asked about it before on Youtube and I think some of these tips may help some of my lovely subscribers!
I am not really one to talk about studying, I hate it and I rarely do it, even though I should! But these are some tips that I found very helpful when doing state examinations last summer. I hope they help you as much as they helped me!
1. Pick the topic you need to study most. The one that you find the hardest. You are likely to pick one that you find fairly easy, because it's EASY and requires less effort, but you will be able to do that part in the exam. For good results you need to make sure you study the areas that you are having the MOST difficulty with, if it is too difficult, get help from a parent, teacher or the internet.
2. Read things out loud and write them out instead of just reading them silently.
The best method that worked for me:
- Read out loud 5 times while looking at the book.
- Try to say it out loud 5 times without looking at the book.
- Then write it out once, without the book.
- Check the book that you have written it out correctly.
- Write it out 3 more times, without the book.
- Say it out loud 3 more times.
- Make sure to revise it once a week/month.
You can modify this method to suit yourself but basically sayng things out loud and writing things down help them to stick in your mind better :)
3. Reward yourself. This one may sound a bit silly, but it worked for me and some of my friends. Ok for example you are stuck on a math formula. Tell yourself that once you have learned the formula and know it inside out, you can have something you have been wanting, eg a chocolate bar or a cup of coffee.
4. Keep all your books, notes, pens and other supplies together so that you will be able to find them easily while studying.
5. Enviornment. Try to work in an area that is as quiet as possible and doesn't have any distractions, T.V off and not facing a window. Keep a window open though for air circulation and keep a bottle of water at the desk!
6. The best one :) Don't overwork yourself. If you really feel like you can't do anymore, then don't and remember to take 5-10 minute breaks every 45 minutes!
That's about it! I know we all hate studying, and it feels like we're being nagged all the time to do it, but it does pay off. Just try your best, that's all that matters. If you tried your hardest and you fail, at least you know that you tried!
Hope these helped